Red Dead Online Community – Year In Review 2020
News - Red Dead Redemption · · by Magnar
2020 was an interesting year for the Red Dead Online Community. After a strong 2019, with RDO leaving beta, the launch of Frontier Pursuits & Moonshiners, we all expected 2020 to be a huge year for the game, however that never really materialised.
Still, there were plenty of amazing, community-led moments throughout the year that we think are worth highlighting.
Highlights from 2020:
After almost 7 months of almost no communication about the state of Red Dead Online from Rockstar, the community took matters into their own hands and we created the “clown movement”, which was dressing up as clowns to show that we’re all the stupid ones for still playing a game that Rockstar had clearly been neglecting.
We were featured on Polygon, PCGamer, PCGamesN and more for our antics. I (Magnar) did a longer write up about how it all started over on GTABase.
Content creator Zumie Fiasco also captured a few moments from the events we hosted over on our Discord server.
“The Curse of the Bald Man”
After a seemingly small patch in August, Red Dead Online was completely broken on console. Players often say “literally unplayable” when there’s a minor inconvenience in games they play, but for Red Dead Online, this was true!
Over on reddit, we had thousands of bugs & glitches reported every day and on twitter, the community seemed to take delight in sharing clips of their misfortune.
The strangest part of all of this was them mysterious bald man who appeared & seemingly cursed players in game.
Nobody knows why this immortal stranger appeared, but he was everywhere!
“Most stylish people in the west”
In 2020, we also saw a surge in players getting involved with the Red Dead Fashion community on Reddit and our Discord server.
Here are a few of our favourites from last years fashion contests.
Other notable moments:
- /u/ApeWatcher sharing the story about his 65 year old father who plays RDR2 everyday!
- A cat taking an Alligator to the top of Mount Hagen.
- Our community successfully bringing attention to the racism in Red Dead Online to Rockstar Games so they can act upon it. Featured in Washington Post, Polygon, EuroGamer & more.
- The incredible RDO Compendium bot created for Discord.
- The expansion of the Jeanropke maps
- Somebody fooling their local TV station by sending in a RDR2 screenshot that was shown during their “Out & About” segment.
- 𝕭𝖑𝖔𝖔𝖉𝖑𝖚𝖘𝖙 for being a clown!
During the low-points of 2020, with a stagnant game & everything else going on in the world, a ton of amazing community members stepped up and helped to keep people entertained, we just want to give a quick shout out to a few of them!
- ALifeOfMisery for sharing weekly updates
- MissCandyLicious / WheelerRawson & Co for sharing community updates
- MadamNazarIO for helping find the elusive lad
- RealCoyoteJack for helping with daily challenges
- Tez2 for keeping the community updated
- VideoTech for being so active & helpful to the community
- YangyYoung for sharing amazing RDO concepts
- The Teams at Rockstar Universe, GTANet, GTABase & Rockstar Intel
- The content creators keeping people entertained, AustinBMX, DirtyTyler, GTA Series Videos, Hazard, JohnSlyRecon, Jowers97, OnlyPVPCat, pineapple, RockstarGuides, Saiyam, SilentC0re, TheProfessional, ZumieFiasco
- The amazing Red Dead Online virtual photographers who are too numerous to name, however we’d still like to shout out a few who are prominent, Craig, Zoobz
- The moderators of our community on reddit & discord, Nurolight, OcelotWolf, uarentme, cmacgames, bedward54, SpitzerFX, Clarke93, AmySchumersAnalTumor, GhanTo, TheSmoothPilsner, Lucas756, TheKey32, tuckre96, LividGrass, Cyborg_Warrior, HankDerb, Huckle, LightningFire, Rey, ScarletStreak, Sidzzz, lemur, serg, sheep1 & Skull.
- Our community project developer Messy for helping with RedDeadNews, Discord bots & other projects soon to be revealed and our community graphics creator Muz.
There are probably so many others who deserve recognition, so if you’re not included I’m sorry! I’ll (Magnar) will probably add onto this list over time.
Here’s a quick breakdown of some of our communities stats from 2020.
- Discord community passed 40k members
- /r/RedDeadOnline passed 250k members
- /r/RedDeadFashion passed 100k members
- @RedDeadRDC twitter passed 20k members
As you can see above, it takes a lot of people (and we’ve probably missed off so many) to make a community work, so thanks once again to all of the contributors & members of the Red Dead Online communities across all platforms, I can’t wait to see what we all do in 2021!